In simple words, a pitch is a message orally conveyed which target is to convince an enterprise or client to invest in a business together. Broadly speaking, the concept is used to tell the investors about the advantages of your project or to expose the benefits of your brand. It aims at calling the audience attention during a brief period of time, depending on the context.
- Adjusting time. Carefully, plan your message. Also, include memorable, short sentences.
- Get to know the audience. It is always smart to research your audience beforehand. Study their area in detail, therefore you make sure to address them at the same level, using similar vocabulary.
- Anticipate questions. It is relevant to have a set of questions already prepared. In that way, you will feel self-confident at the moment of answering final doubts.
- Be creative. If the field of your project is business or technology, be creative enough to explain things easily by telling a creative story about your product or service.
- Be assertive. Showing a confident personality is key when starting your pitch. Speak clear with a loud voice so as to get your audience 100% involved!
Based on the method written by Héctor Sepúlveda, a Chilean Managing Director and Lecturer, in order to write a proper pitch, you may follow the next steps:
- The problem or pain. In order to begin your presentation, you must state the problem or pain in the market you aim to work on. Be as accurate as possible by providing concrete data about different features in your project. This is useful in the introduction of your pitch in order to connect the audience with your service or product.
- Painkiller. It is well-known that a painkiller only helps to attack the symptoms of the problem but not the cause. Similarly, in business, there are plenty of painkillers or competitors. The thing is that you need to differentiate from them and makes your product much more innovative.
- Solution. Provide a friendly, understandable solution. Save time by going straight to the point and avoiding technicisms. Your future investors will be eager to hear how the user will obtain benefits from your idea.
- Current status. This is the time for you to share what you have done so far. Your first clients, experiences, prototype, first sales, etc.
- Teamwork. You count on the correct experts working for your project. Ideas are just that, they need to be implemented by specialists, and they work with you!
- Closure. It depends on your audience. Basically, you need to know what you are going to ask and go for it. Do not provide open and vague statements, on the contrary, give one or two alternatives. This will help your counterpart to choose one of them not to reject the offer.
As you can see, in the era we are living, more and more entrepreneurs need to express their ideas and above all, sell their services or products. This is the main reason why mastering a good pitch is essential for the development of prestigious enterprises.